Thursday, November 27, 2008

Yet another installment of 'What am I going to wear to the wedding?'

I dont know if you have all noticed, but there seems to be a change afoot in fashion these days. Due to the sucess of shows like Mad Men, which takes place in the early 60's, a new sillouette is emerging. You can see the new look here: And here: Personally I find this look very refreshing. We have seen a lot of the 50's look with a tight bodice and full skirt so it is time for a change. The only problem is, I find it to be a very sexy look. Even if you wore a shirt under these dresses and made sure the hem was below the knee, the tightness of the dress makes me wonder if it is just too sexy. I mean, the first dress is incredible. The peacock is embriodered on the fabric and the cut is extremly flattering for size 2-8. On Mad Men, all the women have a bit of a tummy, and these dresses still oooze sex- no skinny women on the show wear this style. So my question is: Is this look appropriate for a wedding?

I love the first dress because the black can be toned down by emphasising the gold in the embroidery. I would wear the gold shoes from the second look on Monday's post, and flesh tone tights. The shirt would just be a black shirt like the one seen yesterday, and I would wear very little jewelry due to the pattern on the dress. Maybe just a nice pair of gold studs or small hoops.


The second dress might look really cool with a dark burgundy shirt and burgundy ribbon belt (go to your local fabric shop and purchase a yard or two of satin ribbon. Tie a bow, snip off the ends at an angle and presto! You have a ribbon belt) around the waist. I would keep a gun metal grey or black shoe and nude hose, just to keep the focus on the red. Add ruby stud earring and you are good to go. The other option would be an ice blue shirt and ice blue ribbon belt with aquamarine studs. The blue would be unexpected, and might create a more appropriate look for a wedding.

(You can find both dresses at http://www,bloomingdales.com/.)

0 comments: