Monday, November 24, 2008

Eeek! I need a dress for wedding!

So I have my first orthodox wedding to go to in January and it is going to be the event of the season! The families are basically modern orthodox, and the dress is black tie. I have nothing to wear. See, I am not frum. I found Chabad about 4 years ago and it has inspired me to live a 'more Jewish' life, but I have had a hard time with the dress code (so to speak). On Shabbat I dress pretty modestly (at least as compaired to the rest of the world) and I cover my hair, either with a scarf or a hat, but I have been unable to get rid of my sweatpants (Juicy Couture) during the rest of the week. This blog is a way for me to come to terms with dressing in a more modest way. But this wedding has really thrown me for a loop. I seriously have no idea what to wear. So I have found 5 different looks and will post each one for you guys to check out and give me your opinion on them.

Ok, so the first look is from Anthropologie. Anthro (as I like to call it) is my favorite store. Love it. So I started with a dress that is really feminine and is in such an amazing shade of bluish green:

Isn't it beautiful? But obviously it needs something underneath to cover the arms and decollete (French for the area above the boobs and under the neck). So I was thinking this:

Would be cute. I like that is has detail at the collar to repeat the detail at the bustline of the dress. I would want the sleeves to be pretty tight, so if they were loose, I would just take it to my tailor and have them narrowed. So that is the first choice. I found two diffent way to accessorize. The first would be these shoes:

These bracelets:


And these earrings:

The second choice would be these shoes:

These earrings:

And these bracelets:

The reason I am not doing a necklace is, I think there is so much detail at the chest, I don't want to muck it up with jewelry. I think if you are wearing an outfit with lots of color, then let the color be the showpiece. However, if you are wearing- say a black dress- then it looks good to have an amazing necklace or crazy earrings (or both). So what do you think? Which accessories do you like better- the silver ones or the goldish-bronze ones? Such a hard decision. Stay tuned this week for the rest of the choices.

(by the way, you can find the dress, blouse,first pair of shoes and the second set of earrings at http://www.anthropologie.com/, the second set of bracelets at http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5253555 and the first pair of earrings at http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5633366, and the pair of silver bangles at http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5810639. And for the life of me I cant remember where I found the second pair of shoes, but if I remember, I will be sure to post)

0 comments: